George Rooke (george_rooke) wrote,
George Rooke

Про морских чудовищ...)))

Сделав перерыв в жизнеописании Вильгельма III Оранского хотел бы запостить несколько отчетов с немецких ПЛ во время ПМВ. Иногда эта тема вызывает у меня скуку, иногда - безудержный смех, а иногда и колбасит не по децки..)))

Короче - читайте (на английском):


After a military engagement with the British steamer Iberian in the North Atlantic - an encounter which resulted in the steamer's destruction via German torpedo - the captain and officers of the U-28 Schmidt, bore witness to a spectacle which none of them could have anticipated. The Captain of the submarine, Commander Freiherr Georg G? von Forstner, described the encounter thusly:


"On July 30, 1915, our U-28 torpedoed the British steamer Iberian, which was carrying a rich cargo across the North Atlantic. The steamer sank so swiftly that its bow stuck up almost vertically into the air. Moments later the hull of the Iberian disappeared. The wreckage remained beneath the water for approximately twenty-five seconds, at a depth that was clearly impossible to assess, when suddenly there was a violent explosion, which shot pieces of debris - among them a gigantic aquatic animal - out of the water to a height of approximately 80-feet.


"At that moment I had with me in the conning tower six of my officers of the watch, including the chief engineer, the navigator, and the helmsman. Simultaneously we all drew one another's attention to this wonder of the seas, which was writhing and struggling among the debris. We were unable to identify the creature, but all of us agreed that it resembled an aquatic crocodile, which was about 60-feet long, with four limbs resembling large webbed feet, a long, pointed tail and a head which also tapered to a point. Unfortunately we were not able to take a photograph, for the animal sank out of sight after ten or fifteen seconds."


On September 2, of that same year, the U-28 was damaged beyond repair in the North Cape after being hit by debris from the munitions ship, Olive Branch, which exploded after being torpedoed by U-28. \



The account begins on April 30, 1918, in the waning days of World War I, when the crew of the British patrol boat, the Coreopsis - while sailing off the Belfast Lough - were astounded to find a German submarine (the UB-85) floating lifelessly on the surface of the North Atlantic. The members of Her Majesty's navy were both perplexed and disconcerted by the discovery as they were not in the habit of encountering non-aggressive U-boats on the open seas, much less during the middle of the day!


With almost no provocation, the entire crew of the UB-85 abandoned ship. Once aboard the British vessel, the U-boat's commander, Captain Gunther Krech, was immediately interrogated. One of the first questions asked by the British officers regarded his decision to remain on the surface even when their obviously English vessel came within his UB-85's line of sight. Captain Krech's response was not one that his interrogators were prepared for.


According to Krech, his submarine had surfaced during the previous night in order to recharge its batteries. Krech was on deck with some men and a few of his officers, when there was an abrupt surge off the starboard bow. Suddenly, what the captain referred to as a "strange Beast" climbed out of the night blackened ocean and onto the side of his ship. Krech described the creature to his captors as such:


"This beast had large eyes, set in a horny sort of skull. It had a small head, but with teeth that could be seen glistening in the moonlight. Every man on watch began firing a sidearm at the beast, but the animal had hold of the forward gun mount and refused to let go."


Krech continued his story, stating that proportions of this creature were so immense that it forced the U-boat to list greatly to the starboard side. The captain, fearing that the open hatch would drop below the waterline (which would flood the sub and eventually sink it), ordered his men to continue their attack on this beast. The battle raged until the animal finally released the submarine and slipped back into its watery domain.


The crew of the UB-85, shaken, but glad to be alive, noted that during the struggle the forward deck plating had been damaged and the U-boat could no longer submerge. "That is why you were able to catch us on the surface," the Captain concluded. Krech and his crew's entire account was chronicled by members of the British Navy, only hours after the events took place. The official record of the event reads as follows in official reports:


"UB-85 Krech, Kplt Gunther April 30 off Belfast Lough Gunfire Sunk by the drifter COREOPSIS. Crew taken off before boat sank."

Tags: ПМВ, подводные лодки

  • Французские фрегаты против английских линкоров

    Давайте посмотрим правде в глаза. Все мы в части сражений на море воспитаны на английской или англофильской литературе и принимаем на веру только…

  • Это пять, я считаю)))

    11 сентября 1807 года к Кристиансанну, где стояли две плавающие батареи и сем канонерок, прибыл британский дивизион во главе с 74-пушечным кораблем…

  • Прекрасное))

    В момент комплектования флота и экспедиционного корпуса для похода на Копенгаген - (середина июля - начало августа 1807 года) к Лондону обратился…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment